Learning in Year 1
In English we will be looking at a range of exciting stories to inspire our writing. These include, but are not limited to, Lost and Find, Owl Babies and Man on the Moon. We will also listen to riddles and have fun making up our own.
- To use Fred sounds to help read and write words.
- To form letters clearly.
- To write on the lines.
- To use finger spaces between words.
- To learn to use capital letters at the start of a sentence.
- To learn to use full stops at the end of a sentence.
- To learn to use a variety of adjectives to add interest to my writing.
- To learn to sequence events and recount them in appropriate detail
- To learn to use appropriate vocabulary to suit the purpose.
- To learn to use conjunctions to write extended sentences.
- To learn to use adverbials of time.
- Weight and Volume
- Multiplication and Division
- Geometry - Position and Direction
- Place Value - within 100
- Measurement - Money
Within each strand, children will also focus on reasoning and applying taught concepts - this will help us to be better mathematical thinkers.
History - Iron Age (Immersion Day); Kings and Queens
Our History Topic for Summer 2 is Kings and Queens. We will cover a range of objectives introducing children to this unit. Including;
- changes within living memory. Where appropriate, these should be used to reveal aspects of change in national life
- events beyond living memory that are significant nationally or globally
We will also have an immersion day based around the Iron Age - more information to follow!
Geography - Africa
We will talk about and compare:
- Human features
- Physical features
- Climate and weather patterns
- Cultural features
Art & DT
Our DT topic is Fabric Bunting. The key skills are:
Our next art topic will be Sculptures in term 6. The key skills are:
Science: Animals including Humans
In RE we will continue start a new unit in Judaism. We will explore concepts such as the Shabbat, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.
In PSHE our topic is 'Belonging and Family' and 'Life Cycle: Humans and Animals'.
Our music themes are 'Storytime' (exploring sounds), 'Bodies' (exploring beat), 'Travel' (performance) and 'Water' (exploring pitch).
In Spanish we will recap on days of the week, as well as numbers.