Learning in Year 5
In the first few week of the term, we will be using the theme of dragons as our inspiration for our writing. It would appear that a dragon has been plaguing the area, so we will write a report about them and instructions on how to catch one!
Later in the term, we will be studying the classic 'Beowulf', which is said to be one of the most important works of Old English Literature. Based on a myth, it links very well to our previous theme.
Having an understanding of Place Value is important, so we start the term looking at big numbers, stretching to numbers in the millions! Following this we explore negative numbers and how to use them in context. Times tables and related division facts remain a focus as this will ensure good foundation for other areas of maths.
This term, we will learn all about Space and the Solar System. Over the unit, children will learn to:
- Describe the movement of the Earth and other planets relative to the sun in the solar system.
- Describe the movement of the moon relative to the Earth.
- Describe the sun, Earth and moon as approximately spherical bodies.
- Use the idea of the Earth's rotation to explain day and night and the apparent movement of the sun across the sky.
- The French Revolution is our topic this term and the children will:
- Explore life in France before 1789 and why that made revolution likely.
- Learn about the major events of the French Revolution.
- Learn about the rise of Napoleon.
- Explore the events of the Battle of Trafalgar and the Battle of Waterloo.
- Discover why Napoleon was in exile.
Mighty Mountains is our topic this term and the children will have the chance to:
- Explore the formation and erosion of mountains, mountain climate and the effects on climate.
- Learn about the different types of mountains; volcanic, dome; plateau and fault.
- Learn about the different peaks and ranges around the world.
- Use longitude and latitude to locate specific peaks and mountain ranges.
- Explore the effects of tourism.
We will be exploring Christianity this term . The children will:
- Explore the Holy book of the Christian people and understand how it is used by them.
- Read and learn about the stories/parables that Jesus told his followers, whilst thinking about how they relate to us today.
- Learn about how Christians use their homes to show they are living the faith.
- Understand the significance for many Christians of the Ten Commandments.
Our focus this term will be on drawing and children will have the opportunity:
To use tools and techniques for drawing and explore effects, so they can express their ideas, observations and feelings with increasing proficiency.
To notice line, shape and pattern and use these visual qualities when they draw their impressions of people, places, events, objects and animals, real or imagined.
To appreciate different drawing styles and discover how significant illustrators have used drawing to express ideas in their creative works.
To explore the effects of light on objects and people from different perspectives.