Read, Write Inc
Read Write Inc - about the programme
Read Write Inc. Phonics, Literacy & Language, Fresh Start and Spelling are highly successful literacy programmes for 4-13 year-olds created by Ruth Miskin and published by Oxford University Press. The training and support from Ruth Miskin Training, rated Outstanding by the Department for Education, ensure the programmes have the best chance of success in schools.
The four Read Write Inc. programmes are carefully matched to the new curriculum, aimed at developing a love for reading and giving your children the best chance of success in the national tests. They show teachers, teaching assistants and parents step-by-step how to teach all children to become fluent readers, confident speakers and willing writers.
Our school uses:
Read Write Inc. Phonics. This programme is used by over a quarter of the UK’s primary schools. It is a comprehensive literacy programme, weaving decoding, comprehension, writing and spelling together seamlessly. Ruth Miskin developed the programme during her time as a headteacher in Tower Hamlets. Rigorous assessment, tracking and one-to-one tutoring ensure that schools guarantee progress for every child.
For information and tutorials on how to support your child learning to read go to: http://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/parents/
RWI in Practice
Regular assessments help to identify children who are making consistent progress and they are placed in a group where the books may be a bit more challenging. On the other hand, regular assessments also help identify children who may need extra help. This is provided on a 1:1 basis, at least three times a week.
A considerable amount of time and money has been invested in the training of teacher and teaching assistants alike. The training is ongoing and led by Mrs Barton, our Head of School.
Five key principles underpin the teaching in all Read Write Inc. sessions as taken from the Teacher Handbook:
- Participation – As they are in small groups, children participate fully in every session. They are able to maintain high levels of concentration and they do not miss key elements of the teaching.
- Praise - Children work together as partners. They take turns to teach and praise each other. They are motivated by praise from their teachers and teaching assistants.
- Pace - Sessions never drag. The lively pace keeps every child fully engaged and on task.
- Purpose - Every instructor has been trained in Read Write Inc. methods. They know the purpose of each activity, and how it leads into the next.
- Passion - Instructors, too, become passionate about their teaching as they see the children enjoying the progress they are making.
At Midfield we have also added a sixth: Preparation - Resources are well prepared as this enables the instructor to identify gaps or extend each group as needed whilst keeping the pace up.
Through the Read, Write Inc programme children are taught to recognise sounds and then to ‘sound-blend’ them into words for reading.
Set 1 Sounds
Click here: for the pronunciation of the set 1 sounds.
Set 2 Sounds
Click here: for the pronunciation of the set 2 sounds
Set 3 Sounds
Click here: for the pronunciation of the set 3 sounds