Safeguarding for School Visitors
Visitors and Volunteers
- All visitors/volunteers must sign in at Reception
- All visitors/volunteers will be issued with an appropriate pass which must be displayed at all times whilst on site.
- Visitors/volunteers will be asked to remain under the supervision of a designated member of staff whilst on site unless all appropriate checks (not just DBS) have been undertaken.
- If there is a fire alarm or serious incident alarm, visitors/volunteers should follow the directions of the teacher in charge or leave the building via the nearest exit. They must not return to the building on any account unless directed
- Visitors/volunteers must not use or have on show a smart phone or camera without permission from the Headteacher/Designated Safeguarding Lead. If photos are required to be taken (e.g. for facilities maintenance / contracted work) this will be supervised and checked to ensure no children are captured.
- Visitors/volunteers should not be left alone with any children at any time unless the school has received and kept a copy of their DBS check details and obtained other confirmations in line with KCSiE. Passes with green lanyards indicate a person who has been DBS checked and may be left alone with pupils. Passes with red lanyards indicate a person who should not be left alone, unsupervised, with children.
- Visitors/volunteers should understand the need to maintain the confidentiality of pupils and should not share information about pupils or staff in any way – including social media
- If a visitor/volunteer has safeguarding concerns relating to the physical, social or emotional safety of a child they should immediately share these with the class teacher or a member of the safeguarding team (please see below). You could ask the school office to contact one of these members of staff
- If a child discloses information relating to their physical, emotional or social wellbeing please report immediately to the class teacher or a member of the safeguarding team (see below). Please do not question the children – this is a specialised role and could compromise court proceedings at a later date
- Visitors/volunteers must sign out at the Main Reception and return their visitor pass
A full copy of the school’s safeguarding policy is available on the school website or via the school office